Monday, October 5, 2009

Spinach and Cheezely Pastries


This is what we had for dinner last night. You can see spinach and cheezely pastries, corn, asparagus, baked mushrooms and potatoes with punk rock chickpea gravy, from Vegan With a Vengeance. (If you have VWAV, you should make this gravy. It is seriously good!)

Spinach and Cheezely Pastries

Makes 8 pastries

Ingredients

250g frozen spinach
1 loosely packed cup grated mozzarella style Cheezely
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
pinch of salt and pepper
2 sheets Borg's vegan puff pastry (Aldi puff pastry is apparently also vegan)
little water to moisten pastry

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
  2. Defrost frozen spinach. Drain well.
  3. Lightly fry onion in oil until translucent.
  4. Mix spinach, onion cheezley and seasonings.
  5. Quarter each sheet of pastry.
  6. Put 1/8th of the spinach mix on one side of each square of pastry.
  7. Moisten edges of pastry lightly. Fold pastry over filling. press edges together.
  8. Bake for 1/2 hour or until golden.
M was helping me roll the pastries. She suggested that we should make rolls. You can also make rectangles, triangle or any other shape you fancy.

Everyone liked this one. Puff pastry is usually popular with my kids. They also love spinach and cheese. The younger two children took the last few rolls to school today in their lunchboxes, with cold icepacks to keep them fresh.

This is a handy dish to serve non-vegans. Omnis find it familiar (cheese and spinach triangles!). You can make small versions for parties. For a lower fat version, you can substitute filo pastry for the puff pastry.

6 comments:

  1. Borg's is no longer sold in my local shopand we don't have an Aldi, but thankfully Pampa's puff and shortcrust is also vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great dinner - so many lovely things all on the one plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Punk rock chickpea gravy = gravylove. I don't make it often enough, but it is seriously so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, I know. I keep thinking that the gravy is complex to make. Then I make it and it is so simple and amazing. I don't know why I don't make it more often.

    You can freeze it, you know. I make a big batch and freeze some now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! My kids love puff pastry too. And I definitely need to make some of that gravy! I can't believe I've owned the book for 2 years and haven't made it yet!

    ReplyDelete