As you will have seen from this blog, I make this gratin regularly because the kids love it. It is a special favourite of Z's. He usually takes seconds and thirds of this one, despite the fact that he usually dislikes most green vegetables.
Serves 6 - 8 as a side dish
1/2 cup strong vegan stock (I use 1/2 Massel large chicken style cube with 1/2 cup water)
10-12 large cauliflower floret or equivalent smaller pieces (enough to fill a medium casserole dish)
1/3 cup crumbs (Pictured are cornflake crumbs, which is why it is so gold, but panko or normal bread crumbs are good)
1-2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (more if you are a fan)
1/4 teaspoon each crushed dried rosemary, paprika, dried sage and salt (if using unsalted stock)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Cooking spray or olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Place cauliflower in casserole dish with stock.
- Bake covered until cauliflower is just tender, about 1/2 to 3/4 hour. To speed up the dish, you can microwave it for 10-15 minutes at this stage.
- Mix remaining ingredients other than the oil. Place on top of the cauliflower.
- Spray well with cooking spray or lightly drizzle with olive oil. You want to just moisten the top layer or crumbs to assist it to brown. You do not have to have all of it covered with oil, especially if you are drizzling with oil.
- Return to oven. Bake until golden, about 20-30 minutes.