A little while ago, I decided to make pumpkin soup for dinner again. However, I wanted to make sure that we had a bit of protein to make it more filling. What to do? Add red lentils!
Pumpkin and Lentil Soup
1 small pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped into 5 cm pieces (butternut is very good)
1 large onion chopped
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
1 cup dry red lentils
water sufficient to cover (over 1 litre)
2 vegan stock cubes (I used Massel Chicken Style cubes)
1/4 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- Heat margarine in a soup pot. Add onion and sweat until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook 30 minutes or until pumpkin and lentils are tender.
- Blend until smooth. I used a stab blender in the pot for convenience.
- Serve with bread and enjoy.