Monday, October 19, 2009

Asian Influenced Feast


This is a dinner that we had a few weeks ago. You can see a quick stir fried vegan Char Siu and vegetables, szechuan eggplant, store bought spring rolls and Changs fried noodle salad. Not pictured is steamed rice, which is always a favourite with my children.

The fried noodle salad is the one on the back of a Changs Fried Noodle packet. It is not authentic anything, other than a device to sell fried noodle. We use the gluten free noodles, as there are no doubtful ingredients that I could see. Mr Brisvegan, J and Z all love it at the moment, so it is showing up in a lot of dinners. I have tweaked the recipe a bit to reduce the fat. To make it as I do, you use 1/2 wombok, 6 spring onions, 1/2 packet Changs Fried Noodles, 1/4 cup each sugar, white wine vinegar and olive oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 small dash sesame oil. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar by heating them in the microwave for 1 minute and stirring well. Add olive oil, soy sauce and sesame oil and mix well. Add to finely chopped wombok and spring onions and mix well. Just before serving add fried noodles. you can also add slivered almonds, but I usually don't bother. My version has half the oil and fried noodles of the original recipe, but we don't notice the difference.

The stir fry is just vegan char siu, with onion, carrot and bok choy. To make a simple sauce, I added about 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, around 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.

The Szechuan eggplant was from a recipe book. It was an excuse to use my new Szechuan peppercorns. It was very similar to this recipe from Jes of Cupcake Punk, who I have just discovered through googling Szechuan eggplant. Like her, I would add more than the recommended szechaun pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment