Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Potstickers


My dumplings from yesterday's post also make good potstickers. I had not encountered potstickers before I started reading American blogs. Some chinese restaurants have fried dumplings, but potstickers are a rare product here.

Potstickers

Makes 15 potstickers

15 dumplings (see recipe in previous post)
1 tablespoon neutral oil (vegetable, canola or rice bran oil is good)
1/2 cup vegan stock (I used Massel Chicken Style stock)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon say sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
  1. Heat oil in non-stick or cast iron pan on medium heat.
  2. Add dumplings to pan. Reduce heat a little. Fry on one side until that side is browned and crisp.
  3. Mix remaining ingredients. Add to pan with the dumplings.
  4. Bring gentle to boil.
  5. Reduce to a fairly fast simmer.
  6. Simmer until broth is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
  7. Serve.
Everyone in our family enjoyed these. I could happily have doubled the recipe. I liked the crisp/chewy/simmered texture. I can see why they are so popular in the US.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! The excellent dumplings at Kuan Yin in the Fortitude Valley are potstickers, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I only recently discovered them too, while I was testing. They're awesome! I love yours. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only discovered potstickers when I started buying US cookbooks. And even then I only just made my first batch of them in the last couple of months!

    ReplyDelete