To go with the gado gado, which I posted last night, I made a quick nasi goreng, which is Indonesian fried rice. It is easy to make.
1 1/2 cups white rice (replace with brown if you wish)
1 small diced carrot
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 tablespoons oil, e.g. rice bran oil or peanut oil
1 small diced onion
1 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
hot sauce to taste (1-3 teaspoons)
Cucumber, tomato, crushed peanuts, deep fried shallots and bean sprouts to garnish
- Cook rice, carrots and peas according to rice packet directions. I use the absorption method (Water equal to 1 and 1/2 times the rice, brought to a boil and then simmered until the rice is tender, around 12 minutes after reducing to a simmer.)
- Ideally, you should make the rice the day before and refrigerate it overnight. however, you can skip that step if you don't have time.
- Heat a wok or high sided skillet. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook the onion gently until translucent.
- Add the remaining oil. Bring to medium high heat. Add rice, kecap manis and hot sauce. Stir fry until the rice is well coasted an lightly fried.
- Turn rice into a service dish and garnish with garnishing items to taste.