Sunday, October 18, 2009

Larabar Review and Vegan 100



Larabars are rare creatures in Queensland. I usually get them by post from the Cruelty Free Shop. However, when I was at Mt Tambourine recently, I found them on the shelf in a pharmacy in the small restaurant and shop strip near the local library. They had Cinnamon Roll, Jocalat (chocolate, obviously) and Pecan Pie (eatan and not photographed). I was very pleased.

All three options were very pleasant. I have also tried key lime pie, which is my favourite. They are delicious little bars, packed full of the dried fruit and nuts which are really their only ingredients. The flavours are usually somewhat reminiscent of the named item. They are not sickly sweet, though their high fruit content means they are fairly sweet. The only down side is that they are pretty high in calories, which may be a concern for some people. If you see them and don't have any food allergies or calorie concerns, give them a go.

The wonderful Bazu of Where's the Revolution? has posted her version of the Vegan 100 on her blog. Basically, this is a list of foods that are worth a try. You show which you have tried by bolding items. I notice that a lot of this list is very US centric, with NY items or US versions of produce. Here is my version:

1) Copy this list into your blog or social networking site profile, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.

3) Cross out or italicize any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional extra: Post a comment on this post linking to your results.
The Vegan Hundred:

1. Molasses
2. Cactus/Nopales

3. Scrambled Tofu

4. Grilled Portobella Caps

5. Fresh Ground Horseradish

6. Sweet Potato Biscuits

7. Arepa

8. Vegan Coleslaw

9. Ginger Carrot Soup

10. Fiddlehead Ferns

11. Roasted Elephant Garlic

12. Umeboshi

13. Almond Butter Toast

14. Aloe Vera

15. H and H Bagel NYC

16. Slow Roasted Butternut Squash

17. White truffle (in oil form- does that count?)

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

19. Freshly ground wasabi

20. Coconut Milk Ice Cream

21. Heirloom tomatoes

22. Orchard-fresh pressed apple cider

23. Organic California Mango (I think it is fair to substitute a local Qld version. There are mangos growing in our local parks, but I have also enjoyed local certified organic ones.)

24. Quinoa

25. Papaya Smoothie

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet or Habañero pepper (grow my own habanero chillis)

27. Goji Berry Tea

28. Fennel
(Only vegetable of which I am not a fan)
29. Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie (made my own from Isa's recipe - too good!)
30. Radishes and Vegan Buttery Spread (not yet, but sounds good)
31. Starfruit

32. Oven fresh Sourdough bread

33. Sangria made with premium fruit and juices
34. Sauerkraut
35. Acai Smoothie

36. Blue Foot Mushrooms

37. Vegan Cupcake from Babycakes nyc (unlikely without serious travel)

38. Sweet Potatoes and Tempeh combo
39. Falafel

40. Spelt Crust Pizza

41. Salt and Pepper Oyster Mushrooms

42. Jicama Slaw

43. Pumpkin Edamame Ginger Dumplings
44. Hemp Milk
45. Rose Champagne

46. Fuyu

47. Raw Avocado-Coconut Soup

48. Tofu Pesto Sandwich

49. Apple-Lemon-Ginger-Cayenne fresh-pressed juice...with Extra Ginger
50. Grilled Seitan

51. Prickly pear (Once as a kid, these are considered weeds here)
52. Fresh Pressed Almond Milk

53. Concord Grapes off the vine

54. Ramps

55. Coconut Water fresh from a young coconut

56. Organic Arugula
(Grow my own)
57. Vidalia Onion

58. Sampler of organic produce from Diamond Organics

59. Honeycrisp Apple (Not available here)

60. Poi

61. Vegan Campfire-toasted Smores (Smores are not an Aussie thing at all)

62. Grape seed Oil

63. Farm fresh-picked Peach

64. Freshly-made pita bread with freshly-made hummus

65. Chestnut Snack Packs

66. Fresh Guava

67. Mint Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

68. Raw Mallomar from One Lucky Duck, NYC

69. Fried plantains
(For my Brisbane friends, you can get plantains at the West End markets in season. I fried my own)
70. Mache

71. Golden Beets

72. Barrel-Fresh Pickles

73. Liquid Smoke (Love it - get it from VVSQ!)

74. Meyer Lemon

75. Veggie Paella

76. Vegan Lasagna

77. Kombucha
78. Homemade Soy Milk
(Too lazy)
79. Lapsang souchong
(Yum!)
80. Lychee Bellini

81. Tempeh Bacon

82. Sprouted Grain Bread
83. Lemon Pepper Tempeh

84. Vanilla Bean

85. Watercress

86. Carrot you pulled out of the ground yourself
(Must go and pull some from my garden this afternoon)
87. Vegan In-Season Fruit Pie

88. Flowers (Nasturtiums from my own garden are great, but have also tried lavender, chamomile, violets, and roses)
89. Corn Chowder

90. High Quality Vegan Raw Chocolate

91. Yellow fuzz-free Kiwi

92. White Flesh Grapefruit

93. Harissa

94. Coconut Oil

95. Jackfruit

96. Homemade Risotto

97. Spirulina

98. Seedless 'Pixie' Tangerine

99. Gourmet Sorbet, not store bought

100. Fresh Plucked English Peas


I bolded 63. That's not too bad. There would be more if I substituted Australian fruit varieties for the US versions. Please let me know if you fill this out. It would be cool to see what you highlight.

3 comments:

  1. I love Larabars, though I find some of the flavours a bit sweet!

    I'm going to fill out the vegan 100 for my post tonight. I agree - it is very US (NYC in particular) centric, a local version would have a much higher count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I've never tried the Key Lime Pie flavour although I'm not sure if we stock that here. Will have to look 'cause it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have done pretty well on the Vegan 100!

    I also substituted some Melbourne things for the US-centric things.
    http://melbourneveganesque.blogspot.com/2009/10/vegan-100.html

    I also love Larabars, I have only seen them at WholeFoods in Richmond, they feel a bit pricey though. :(

    ReplyDelete