Sunday, July 5, 2009

Leek and Bean Cassoulet

I forgot to blog this one from a couple of weeks ago. A while back I made the delicious Leek and Bean Cassoulet from Veganomnicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

This recipe by itself is reason to buy this recipe book (well, this and the choc chip cookies and ... well you get the picture). It is real vegan comfort food. I love it. It is relatively easy to make and freezes well.

The original recipe is made with what the authors describe as a biscuit topping. They mean American style biscuits (small heavy breads) which are baked on top of the cassoulet like dumplings. They are very good, but do add time to the recipe and are a bit high fat, if that is an issue for you. I have also served the cassoulet with store-bought rolls, instead of the biscuit topping. If you don't bake the biscuits on it, you can make it entirely on the stove top, instead of transferring it to the oven halfway through. Just give it a bit of extra time on the stove top (20 or so minutes from memory).

This time, I defrosted a batch that I had previously frozen and made a pot pie, by putting Borgs vegan puff pastry on the top of a casserole dish of cassoulet. It worked very well. I served it with mixed baked vegetables.


Here it is plated up.


Everyone but M loves this dish. M will eat it, but it is not her favourite thing. The boys, J and Z, always have seconds. They liked this variation with the pastry. I think that this would be a great dish to share with omnis at a potluck, as it is tasty and has no "scary" ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. I love the leek and bean cassoulet! I'd never considered putting puff pastry onto it though, I'm going to have to try this when the weather here cools down.

    ReplyDelete