Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Fronch" toast and microwave berry sauce


I had 1 and 1/2 slightly stale French breadsticks in the pantry. What to do? An omni would make French toast, that egg and milk eggstravaganza. Well, so would a vegan, sans egg and milk!

I made the Fronch Toast from Vegan With a Vengeance. The recipe calls for rice milk, but I subbed it for soy milk, as that was what I had. Mixed with corn and besan flours and a pinch of salt (that's me, not Isa), the soy milk is the basis of a light batter. After dipping the sliced bread in the batter, you fry it. I recommend using a generous knob of margarine in the pan, as it gives a better flavour and texture. It also stops the french toast from sticking.

I topped it with cinnamon sugar for some berry haters and microwave berry sauce for Z, M and me. I made the berry sauce with the syrup from a can of berries, that was sitting in the freezer. I had previously used the berries to make a cobbler. However, I think that it would be even better with the berries in it.

Microwave Berry Sauce

Makes 6 generous or up to 12 smaller servings of sauce for deserts or French toast.

1 440g can mixed berries in syrup, syrup retained
2 teaspoons wheaten cornflour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
  1. Mix the cornflour into some of the syrup from the can of berries.
  2. In a microwave safe dish, mix the cornflour mixture into all of the other ingredients.
  3. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Mix and then microwave for another 2-4 minutes or until slightly thick and hot.
  4. Serve hot or cold over French toast, waffles, pancakes or desserts. (Or if you are M, eat it out of a bowl with a teaspoon!)
(May also be made with just the syrup for 4 silky smooth serves of sauce or may be blended for a smoother fruitier result.)

By the way, I had to make a second lot of batter to use on normal sandwich bread. The hungry hordes were not satisfied with only one serve of this delicious French toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment