Sunday, June 7, 2009

Who is BrisVegan?

Ok, so I haven't figured out the picture posting thing yet, though I am going to get on to that later today.

To give this blog a decent post I thought I'd tell you a bit about myself.

I live in Brisbane, Australia. That's a major city about half way up the east coast of Australia. It is the capital of Queensland, the second largest Australian state. It's subtropical, so I can garden all year round. I live in deepest suburbia.

I am a white, middle-class, cisgendered, hetero vegan woman. I have a mild to moderate hearing impairment, though I am otherwise currently able-bodied. That adds up to a whole lot of privilege, which is unearned, though not, I hope, completely unexamined. I grew up in poverty, so I am pretty aware of the luckiness of the middle class. I am also a happy feminist (though depending on the nightly news, I can also be a pissed-off feminist).

I am married to a wonderful man, who is still an omni. I have three children, J, Z and M. The oldest boy, J, is a teenager. Z, a boy, and M, a girl, are primary school age. They are clever, healthy and socially engaged almost-vegetarians. As I am the main cook in the house, they all eat vegan meals at home, though they sometimes add dairy foods to their meals.

I work as an academic. I am lucky enough to work for a great local university that is vegan friendly. My boss and co-workers are supportive of veg*n lifestyles. I enjoy my work.

I have been a vegan for 3 years. Before that, I was a vegetarian for 10 years. I find it easy to be vegan in Brisbane. We have easy access to many great vegan resources and products. There is even a vegetarian "supermarket" (actually a little shop) in a suburb near mine.

I love reading vegan and feminist blogs. I hope my little effort adds something useful to the blogosphere. I plan to mostly blog about food, as I hope to show how delightful a vegan life can be. However, I am sure that my garden, family, cats and maybe my political views may get a look-in.

1 comment:

  1. Hi BrisVegan, and welcome to the blogosphere! It's great to have more vegan, feminist academics around. If you haven't yet, you should check out The Potato Vine blog--she's been a bit busy lately but she's an American feminist vegan academic. I look forward to reading your posts and would love to know where the veggie supermarket is so I can go next time I'm down your way.

    ReplyDelete