Sunday, June 28, 2009

Choc Chip Cookies to Share

Yesterday, I went to a Tupperware party at a friend's place. (Tres suburban, I know!) So what does a vegan eat at an afternoon tea party?

I always offer to take a plate to such events, as I know that the odds are high that people will not cater for, or know how to cater for, a vegan. By taking food, I know that I will have something to eat. With my food, I can demonstrate to omnis that vegan food can be absolutely delicious, decadent and not at all about deprivation. I like Isa Chandra Moskowitz' tongue-in-cheek plan for conversion by cupcake.

This time, for a change, I took a plate of chocolate chip cookies.



The recipe is from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. This is the first time that I tried this recipe. They say that they are the best chocolate chip cookies in the world and, by golly, I think they are right. They definitely compare favourable with any omni cookie you could ever imagine. The recipe makes a lot (they say 36, I made 74 smallish biscuits), so there were plenty left at my place.

How did they go? Both adults and children loved them. This was the first plate emptied, so they were definitely a hit.

2 comments:

  1. I love those choc chip cookies! What kind of chocolate do you use? It looksl ike you've got chunks, rather than chips, which is my method since vegan chips are a bit hard to find...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually a homebrand dark cooking chocolate, that only had vegan ingredients. I chopped it up. I can get vegan choc chips at a local Mrs Flannery's Organic Supermarket, but they are really expensive.

    ReplyDelete