Monday, June 8, 2009

Backyard visitor

This is why I can't have nice things in the garden:



We had heard possums in the yard before. Tomatoes, pea seedlings and parsley leaves all go missing from my garden. At dusk tonight, I spotted this guy and his partner climbing from a large gum tree in my neighbour's yard into this tree in our yard. It appears that they live next door and use our yard as their first stop on their night's foraging.

They are native common brushtail possums, as far as I can tell. Other than the occasional nibble on my garden, they have been no problem for us.

To keep them out of the garden, I will be spraying plants with "Poss-Off" a commercial garlic, chilli, and bitter citrus organic spray. It doesn't hurt the possums, us or the environment. It just makes things taste bad. We will leave some fruit and things out for them, from time to time, so that they don't go hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment