Saturday, June 27, 2009

Supermarket Spaghetti Bolognaise

This could also be entitled "Vegans can eat crap too!" This is not a recipe. It is heating things up. However, I thought that I would blog it to show that vegans can find convenience food at the supermarket, just as easily as omnis.

Here are the ingredients:


The sauce and spaghetti are naturally vegan, though not marketed as such. I used homebrand because I try to keep costs down. I am generally not a huge fan of Sanitarium's canned meat replacements. However, I do like and regularly use the casserole mince. Though it probably has way too much salt, it has a good texture. I like the flavour better than most TVP products.

You boil water and cook the spaghetti as per the packet instructions. In a separate saucepan, add the Sanitarium casserole mince to the bottle of pasta sauce. Heat while the pasta is cooking. Serve sauce over pasta. This serves 6.

Voila! The thing you eat when you can't be bother with actual cooking!

It is tasty, though it probably contains far too much sugar and salt. The children like it. I serve it occasionally when I need to get food on the table in 10 minutes or so.

Overall, being vegan is just as easy for me as being omni was. It's just a matter of knowing what products and ingredients to look for. There are plenty of ready made, restaurant and junk food items that are vegan. So if you are a non-cook, you too can be vegan!

No comments:

Post a Comment