Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Simple Sweet and Sour and Asian Vegan Kitchen Chow Mein


I mentioned last post that I served the vegetables in black bean sauce with sweet and sour. I realised that I had not mentioned the sweet and sour recipe. Here is a picture of it (left) with the Shanghai Style Chow Mein from The Asian Vegan Kitchen by Hema Parek. The chow mein recipe was nice, but I found it a bit bland, as I often do with chow mein. The kids liked it, but they usually like bland noodles.

The sweet and sour is my own recipe, based in part on various easy anglo-style recipes I had read over the years. The whole family adore this one.

Simple Sweet and Sour Faux Chicken

Ingredients

1 -2 tablespoons neutral oil
500g vegan "chicken" pieces
1/2 large red capsicum chopped
1 small onion sliced
440g tin pineapple pieces in natural juice
1/4 cup tomato sauce (ketchup for the Americans)
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
pinch Chinese 5 spice

Method
  1. Heat wok until hot. Add oil and heat briefly.
  2. Add vegan "chicken". Brown. Remove from wok.
  3. Add more oil if necessary. Add onion. Stir fry one minute.
  4. Add capsicum. Stir fry for another minute.
  5. Add pineapple pieces and their juice, and remaining ingredients. Bring to boil.
  6. Add "chicken". Simmer until sauce is reduced to an appealing amount.
  7. Taste. If it's too sweet, add a little more vinegar. If too acidic, add a little more sugar.
  8. Serve with rice and some stir fried vegetables.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe! Andy is a fan of sweet and sour and we've tried a few recipes but haven't found The One yet. Will give yours a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy! I havent found any faux chicken pieces up here on the sunny coast... not yet anyway, so I will have to try it with some tofu! But looks and sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, both look delicious and would be so much better than ordering take away

    ReplyDelete