We had a great time. The children had a ball climbing trees and playing on the playground. Though J feels he is getting a bit old for all of that, he was in the middle of it all, helping the younger children to climb and stay safe. It was a beautiful day.
I said yesterday that I would come back with an omni-friendliness review for the east coast coffee cake. I took it to the picnic yesterday, cut into small slice-like pieces. It went really well. Everyone had some and liked it. Many people had seconds.
I also took vegan snickerdoodles (from either How It All Vegan or La Dolce Vegan from memory), babaganouj with pita bread and spinach/Cheezely pastry. All were a hit with the omnis. In fact, my food was all gone, though there were still cake and shop bought biscuits left. The kids really loved the babaganouj and the spinach pastry. I have previously posted the babaganouj recipe. Here is the recipe for the spinach pastry:
Spinach and Cheese Picnic Pastry
3 squares frozen vegan puff pastry (I used Borgs)
1 packet frozen spinach (250g from memory)
1/2 log of Cheezely mozzarella (100g) or altenative vegan cheese
2 spring onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade.
- Defrost puff pastry on a flat surface while making filling.
- Defrost spinach in microwave or over low heat on your stove top. Drain very well.
- Grate Cheezely.
- Mix spinach, cheese and chopped spring onion.
- Line a cookie tray with parchment paper. Put 1 and 1/2 pieces pastry on bottom of tray. Join any seams with a little water and press together well.
- Spread spinach mixture over pastry, leaving a 1 cm edge. It should give you a thin layer of filling.
- Cover with remaining pastry. Seal edges with a little water.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden.
- You can serve this hot now or allow to cool.
- Cut into squares/triangles of desired size.
I use the same filling for pie, with only 2 pieces of pastry and a thiner filling.