The tofu is based on a Kylie Kwong recipe that I saw on TV. It is tofu fried and then slow cooked with stock, sugar, soy sauce, sherry, onion and a dash of vinegar. The original recipe had cherry tomatoes. This one had carrots, because from memory, I didn't have any tomatoes.
The greens were just quickly stir-fried in a dash of sesame oil and then sprinkled with sesame seeds.
The fried rice is Z's favourite way to eat rice. It is very quick and easy to make. It's a fairly rough recipe, because I usually just throw stuff in a wok.
Vegan Fried Rice
2-3 tablespoons oil (I use rice bran oil)
1 onion, diced
few slices diced Redwood vegan ham or 1 diced Sanitarium hot dog
3 cups cooked rice (best if cooked the day before, but just cooked is OK), fluffed so grains are separate
3/4 cup frozen vegetables (or 1 carrot, cut into a small dice, 1/3 cup peas and 1/4 cup corn kernels), cooked with the rice
1-2 tablespoon soy sauce
Pepper to taste (optional)
1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Heat wok or large skillet to medium heat.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil and onion. Cook until almost translucent.
- Add vegan ham or Sanitarium hot dog. Cook until onion is translucent and the protein is lightly browned.
- Add remaining oil and turn up the heat so the wok is fairly hot (about 2/3 on my hot plate).
- Once the oil is heated, throw in the rice and cooked vegetables.
- Stir well, so the rice is well coated with oil.
- Add the soy sauce, pepper and sesame oil (if using).
- Keep stirring until rice is golden and hot.