I looked in the fridge and saw all the leftover toppings for the party pizzas. Inspiration struck: Leftovers would make great pasta!
With few additions, the leftovers made a tasty pasta sauce that would be worth creating again, though I would probably increase the vegetables.
Party Leftover Pasta
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
tablespoon of crushed garlic
3 sliced vegan hotdogs
1/4 cup diced yellow capsicum
3 sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup cooking sherry
1 teaspoon each dried oregano and thyme
2/3 cup barchetta cut kalamata olives
1/2 zucchini sliced
salt and black pepper to taste
400-500g short pasta
- Cook pasta following packet directions
- While the pasta is cooking, fry the onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the onion and garlic are transparent, add the capsicum, mushroom and hotdogs. Fry for a few minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients to the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and mix it through the sauce.
The children loved it, though Z picked out all the zucchini and mushrooms.