My kids love spring rolls. We frequently by large packs of vegetable spring rolls (60 or 64) from the supermarket, because they are quick, easy and good for dinner or lunch boxes. I have often thought that they must be easy to make. My sister-in-law (hi Madonna!) told me a while back that she makes her own spring rolls and oven bakes them for a lower fat option. When I saw spring roll pastry on special at Woolworths, I decided to give her idea a go.
They worked out pretty well. We had half of them for dinner, with rice, tofu, greens and store bought vegan BBQ buns. The kids will have the leftovers for lunch at school. One advantage of no meat is that they are much less likely to spoil in a lunch box and the kids get a nice serve of vegetables.
Oven Baked Spring Rolls
1 tablespoon rice bran oil or other neutral cooking oil
1/4 wombok (Chinese cabbage) chopped well
1 large carrot, grated
1 onion, chopped finely
3 dried shiitake mushroom, reconstituted in water and chopped finely
100g rice or bean vermicelli
1 cup bean sprouts
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon each salt, white pepper and ginger
pinch star anise
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Packet of 20 spring roll wrappers (check ingredients to make sure there is no egg)
Cooking spray or a few tablespoons of extra oil
(you could also add chopped coriander and chilli for a Thai flavour)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Cover 2 cookie sheets with baking paper.
- Cook noodles as per packet instructions. Chop into 2-3 cm lengths.
- Heat skillet. Add oil.
- Add cabbage, onion, carrot and mushroom. Fry over low medium heat until onion has softened.
- Add remaining ingredients to skillet. Cook until bean sprouts soften slightly.
- Separate spring roll wrappers.
- For each spring roll, put a few tablespoons of filling (1/20th of the mix) above one corner. Fold up the corner. Fold ends in. Roll up. Seal with water.
- Spray oven trays and rolls with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Bake rolls until golden, turning over after 20 minutes. It will take 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with dipping sauce of choice. We like sweet chilli sauce.